Terror in Sydney: Stabbing attack ‘ISIS inspired’
A 22-year-old Muslim terrorist inspired by ISIS has been charged with terrorism and attempted murder, after stabbing a man in a park in Minto before chasing him into a hair salon in western Sydney.
Wayne Greenhalg, 59, was on his daily walk in a reserve in Minto, Western Sydney, when he was attacked and stabbed by Ihsas Khan shouting ‘Allahu Akbar, this is a good day to die’.
After receiving multiple stab wounds to the hands and body the bloodied victim managed to escape to a nearby property where he was taken into an adjoining hairdressing salon by the owner.
A local resident watched in horror as the property owner Duyen Phan valiantly began to barricade the entrance as the 22-year-old Muslim terrorist attempted to smash his way inside before local police arrived.
The knife-wielding terrorist then turned on the police and attempted to stab an officer through the car window before he was subdued and taken into custody.
Paramedics treated Mr Greenhalg at the scene for multiple stab wounds and injuries to the hands and body before he was airlifted to Liverpool Hospital where he remains in a serious, but improved condition.
A local witness told Seven News that Mr Khan was ‘running around shouting ‘Allahu Akbar, this is a good day to die’ as he looked to break into the salon after the attack.
The reports of the terrorist shouting Islamic phrases and words have added to the belief the incident was ‘inspired by ISIS’, with Deputy Commissioner Catherine Burn saying the attack was deliberate.
‘We will be alleging before court that this was an act that was inspired by ISIS, it was a deliberate act yesterday, it resulted in a person receiving extremely serious injuries,’ she said.
Burn believes there was planning involved in the attack.
‘We will allege that he set out to do something yesterday, how long he had been planning this, we don’t know,’ she said.
‘This is the new face of terrorism, this is the new face of what we deal with.’
Witnesses reported the terrorist was waiting in the reserve for up to 10 minutes for Mr Greenhalg and heard the 22-year-old man shout in Arabic during and after the attack, according to the SMH.
Federal Attorney-General George Brandis praised the efforts of local community members and the police for their swift action that prevented any further dangerous incidents.
‘The brave citizens of Sydney, who yesterday afternoon witnessed this attack going on before there very eyes and intervened at risk to their safety and potentially their lives to save the life of the victim are an inspiration to us all,’ Brandis told reporters in Brisbane on Sunday.
‘It may very well be but for the bravery of those citizens to intervene the victim’s life would have been lost.’
The Joint Counter Terrorism Team are currently investigating the incident.
The 22-year-old terrorist has been charged with committing a Terrorist Act and attempted murder and will appear in Parramatta Bail court on Sunday.