Terror in Holland: Police ‘seriously’ considering terrorism as a motive for the terror attack in Utrecht
Dutch prosecutors said they are seriously considering a possible terrorist motive for the terror attack in Utrecht, and have so far been unable to find a link between the Muslim terrorist and the three people who were murdered.
In a statement Tuesday, prosecutors say the nature of the attack and a note found in a getaway car give them reasons to consider terrorism as a motive.
“So far a terrorist motive is being seriously taken into account. Among other things a letter found in the getaway car and the nature of the facts give rise to that,” a statement said (in Dutch), without detailing the contents of the letter.
The prosecutors also say that investigations so far do not indicate that the Turkish-born terrorist Gökmen Tanis, 37, who was arrested hours after Monday’s attack, knew any of the victims.
Prosecutors say a weapon was recovered when he was arrested.
Two other suspected Muslim terrorists, brothers aged 23 and 27 are in custody, and authorities are assessing if they had any involvement in the terror attack.
Eyewitnesses claim four Muslim terrorists carried the shooting attack. According to Dutch news site Het Parool, the four were armed with at least two weapons and shouted ‘allahu akbar’.
Police released Gökmen Tanis’s name after the shooting, as they searched his home and other addresses.
Prosecutors said he was known to police while friends told Dutch media that he was a criminal.
Turkey’s president said the intelligence service there was also looking into the attack.
A Turkish businessman living in Utrecht told BBC Turkish that Tanis has connections to ISIS.
The mayor of Utrecht confirmed that a 19-year-old woman who worked in a snack bar and a 49-year-old youth coach from a sports club were among the murdered in the terror attack. The third victim is described as a 28-year-old man.