UN accuses Israel of ‘excessive force’ in fighting terror
Israeli security forces have used “excessive force” and “may have carried out summary executions against Palestinians,” UN experts claimed Monday, blaming the terror war against Israelis and Jews on the victims.
“Cases of excessive use of force by Israeli forces against Palestinians, including some which appear to amount to summary executions, continue to be reported,” said the UN Special Rapporteur on the human rights situation in the Palestinian Territories, Makarim Wibisono, and the expert on summary executions, Christof Heyns.
They called for an “end to the violence by all and strict compliance with international law,” AFP reports.
“We urge the authorities to carry out independent, thorough, prompt and impartial investigations into all suspected cases of extra-judicial, arbitrary and summary executions, and to provide compensation to the victims or their families,” the UN experts said.
The UN condemnation follows damning statistics published earlier Monday proving October to be the worst month for terror in Israel since 2006.
According to the Israel Security Agency (ISA or Shin Bet), Palestinian terrorists have launched 602 attacks in 30 days – more than during Operation Protective Edge (2014), Operation Pillar of Defense (2012), or Operation Cast Lead (2009).
11 Israelis were killed, compared with five in all of 2013, for example; 80 civilians and security personnel were injured – compared with 63 in all of 2014, and 42 wounded in 2013.
Of the 1,703 global terror attacks in 2015, a staggering 778 attacks had been launched against Israelis since Rosh Hashana (the Jewish New Year) until mid-October; 35 people have been killed.