French Jews protest screening of Munich massacre film at Cannes
Jewish groups in France have expressed their concern over the planned marketing at the Cannes Film Festival of a film that falsely blames German security forces for the deaths of 11 Israeli athletes held hostage by Palestinian terrorists at the 1972 Munich Olympics.
CRIF (Conseil Représentatif des Institutions juives de France), an umbrella organization of French Jewish organizations, raised its concerns about the film, “Munich: A Palestinian Story,” on May 3 in the form of a letter sent by its president Roger Cukierman to the president of the Cannes Film Festival, Pierre Lescure and French Culture Minister Audrey Azoulay.
Cukierman said in the letter that the film wrongly accuses German police of the killings.
A total of 11 Israeli team members were taken hostage during the Olympics in Munich and eventually killed, along with a German police officer, by the Palestinian group Black September. The games were suspended for a day and then carried on.
According to recently published German documents and photos, weightlifter Yossef Romano was shot while trying to overpower the terrorists in the early stages of the attack. He was then left to die in front of the other hostages and castrated, the New York Times reported last year. It is not known if the castration occurred before or after he died. Other hostages were beaten and sustained serious injuries, including broken bones, Spitzer told the New York Times.
After years of failed attempts to have the murdered Israeli athletes officially recognized during the games, the new International Olympic Committee president, Thomas Bach, has agreed to a moment of reflection during the 2016 Rio Olympics for all athletes who have died at the Olympics.
Cukierman said that the movie represented “a scandalous revision of historical facts.”
“Everything ended when German security forces stormed in, killing five Palestinians and 11 Israeli athletes,” the film’s script reads, according to CRIF.