US will increase defence against ISIS budget by 50%

The United States will spend $7.5 billion — a 50 percent increase — to fund the fight against ISIS, Defense Secretary Ashton Carter said Tuesday.

“Because we are accelerating the campaign, (the Pentagon) is backing that up in our budget with a total of $7.5 billion dollars in 2017, 50 percent more than 2016,” Carter said in a speech in Washington.

“This will be critical as our updated coalition military campaign plan takes hold.”

Carter also announced the United States will spend $3.4 billion next year to counter “Russia’s aggression” and boost the US presence in eastern European nations.

“We’re reinforcing our posture in Europe to support our NATO allies in the face of Russia’s aggression,” Carter said, noting that the $3.4 billion was a quadrupling of funds from last year.

“That’ll fund a lot of things. More rotational US forces in Europe, more training and exercises with our allies, more prepositioned warfighting gear, and infrastructure improvements to support it.”