Second Jerusalem stabbing victim succumbs to wounds

UPDATE: Two of three men injured in the stabbing Wednesday afternoon outside the Jaffa Gate in Jerusalem succumbed to gunshot wounds incurred at the scene, Shaare Zedek Medical Center announced this evening.


One of three men injured in the stabbing Wednesday afternoon outside the Jaffa Gate in Jerusalem has succumbed to his wounds, Shaare Zedek Medical Center announced this evening.

“Despite vigorous efforts to save him, the wounded man has passed away. The hospital extends its condolences to the family,” Shaare Zedek said in a statement.

He has been identified as Ofer Ben Ari, a 40-year-old resident of Jerusalem. He is survived by his wife and two children.

 Recuperating at Shaare Zedek is another of the victims, who was seriously injured in the stabbing. His surgery was a success and he is now in stable condition.

The third victim in the attack is currently undergoing surgery at Hadassah Medical Center. He suffered serious stab wounds all over his body but is defined as stable.

The two Arab terrorists who conducted the stabbing were later identified as a pair of former convicts from Qalandiya, both of whom were arrested for terrorism and imprisoned in the past.

Two alert Border Police officers neutralized the pair after they stabbed the three Israelis outside Jerusalem’s Old City. One of the terrorists was eliminated at the scene; the second was neutralized and arrested.

Police are probing suspicions the murdered Israeli was hit by gunfire as security forces attempted to neutralize the terrorists.

In a statement, the Jerusalem Police Department described how “Border Policewomen noticed civilians running in panic towards Jaffa Gate, and, understanding that an attack was taking place, acted to limit the slaughter as they ran towards the sea of civilians.”

“The officers identified two terrorists with knives as they were stabbing a man; with great determination and professionalism they directed fire towards the terrorists and neutralized them.”

One of the officers, who was also a trained paramedic, joined emergency workers in providing first aid to one of the victims.

Jerusalem District Commander Moshe Edri praised the officers for “acting with courage and much professionalism (to) neutralize the terrorists and prevent a much greater attack.”