Australia: Two Muslims arrested as police thwart jihad plot to attack naval base and police headquarters

Two men have been arrested in counter-terrorism raids in Sydney after police thwarted what they say were plots to attack locations including a naval base and police headquarters.

Abdullah Salihy, 24, was arrested at Memorial Avenue in Merrylands and Mohamed Almaouie, 20, was arrested in Bankstown.

Salihy has been charged with one count of collecting or making documents likely to facilitate terrorist acts – a charge that carries a maximum sentence of 15 years’ imprisonment.

The Australian Federal Police said it would allege in court that this charge related to documents seized as part of Operation Appleby in December 2014.

Almaouie was charged with one count of conspiracy to commit acts done in preparation, or planning, terrorist acts – a charge that carries a maximum sentence of life imprisonment.

This charge also concerns material seized by Operation Appleby investigators last December.

Five other men were charged with the same offence earlier this month in relation to the same documents.

Neither Salihy or Almaouie appeared in Parramatta Local Court.

Magistrate Carl Milovanovich formally refused bail to both men, with Almaouie set to appear at Central Local Court on January 20, 2016 and Salihy due to appear on March 2, 2016.

Deputy NSW Police Commissioner Catherine Burn said there was no specific threat to the community but that a naval base was among the locations the suspects had discussed.

“In there, Woolloomooloo naval base was one of the locations that were discussed, but there wasn’t a specific place identified,” Deputy Commissioner Burn said.

She said the police investigation disrupted the planned terrorism plot.