Arch-Terrorist Samir Quntar killed in IAF Strike in Syria

According to Arab reports, the Israel Air Force today struck a vehicle traveling near Damascus, killing all five passengers on board. One of the passengers was Samir Quntar. It is vulgar, if not worse, to rejoice in the demise of another human being; for Quntar, however, one might make an exception.

On April 22, 1979, Quntar, commanding a small unit of four armed men, piloted a small dinghy from Lebanon to the northern Israeli town of Nahariya. Undetected by the Israeli Navy, the terrorists struck at midnight and wasted little time: spotting a police car, they opened fire and killed one officer, Eliyahu Shahar. Then, they proceeded into the town, forcing their way into the nearby home of the Haran family.


Danny Haran, 31, and his daughter Einat, 4, were taken hostage. Smadar, Danny’s wife, managed to grab her infant daughter Yael, 2, and hide in the apartment’s narrow attic. Terrified, and anxious to keep the child from crying, Smadar accidentally choked her baby to death. Quntar and his men, meanwhile, took Danny and Einat to the beach, where they were met by Israeli soldiers and police officers. A short firefight ensued, but Quntar had other targets in mind. He shot Danny in the back at close range, murdering him in front of his small daughter. Then, he took Einat and smashed her skull against a rock with the butt of his rifle.


Samir Quntar was captured later that evening, and sentenced to life in an Israeli prison. There, he married an Israeli citizen, completed a bachelor’s degree and part of a master’s degree through the Tel Aviv-based Open University, and contemplated a run to the Lebanese parliament, cashing on his popularity in his native country. On July 16, 2008, Quntar was released as part of a deal between Israel and the Hezbollah, and wasted no time espousing his favorite cause and calling for the kidnapping and murder of more Israelis. If he was indeed killed tonight, it’s nothing less than justice finally served.


UPDATE: Confirmed:IAF has successfully eliminated Top Hezbollah Terrorist Samir Quntar.

Images from the scene show a collapsed multi-story residential building, with lots of rubble on the ground. Vehicles parked nearby appear to have been completely destroyed, the Russian news agency reported.


According to Reuters, a number of rockets indeed hit a building in the Damascus district of Jaramana causing several casualties, but Syria’s state media blamed “terrorist groups” – the term used by Bashar Al-Assad regime to describe rebels fighting against him – for the attack.

However, government loyalists quoted by Reuters on social media said the explosions were an Israeli strike believed to have killed Kuntar, who murdered two members of the Haran family in the northern Israeli city of Nahariya in 1979, crushing the four-year old’s head with the butt of his rifle after murdering her father in front of her. Her two-year old sister died when the mother, hiding in a crawl space, accidentally smothered her while trying to prevent her cries from being heard. He was released in 2008 as part of a prisoner swap with Hezbollah.

Some Syrian government loyalists said he was in the building at the time of the attack but his fate was unclear, according to the news agency, but it was not immediately possible to confirm the reports.

Hezbollah, however, confirmed Kuntar’s death in a statement, saying it occurred “when the Zionist enemy planes bombed the building where he lived in Jaramana.”

This marks the second time that Kuntar was reportedly the target of an Israeli airstrike. In late July, the British-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights claimed that the Israel Air Force struck a vehicle in which Kuntar was riding.

But Kuntar later appeared alive and well in an interview which aired on September 9 on Hezbollah’s Al-Manar TV