Islamic Jihad Terrorist Rearrested, Restarts Hunger Strike
Mohammed Allan, the Islamic Jihad terrorist who recently attracted great media attention for his hunger strike while on administrative detention, was released from the Barzilai Hospital in Ashkelon on Wednesday morning – only to be arrested again on an administrative order, after which he restarted his hunger strike.
Allan was returned to the Israel Prison Authority after being released from the hospital where he had been receiving treatment for around three months due to his hunger strike. Afterward, he was arrested on an IDF general’s order by Ashkelon district police officers.
Allan was released from an earlier administrative detention in 2009. He was rearrested last November, but this June launched a hunger strike that lasted two months. In the end the state folded and agreed to release him, even as the Supreme Court reversed its previous decision and cancelled his administrative arrest.
The terrorist’s lawyer Jamil Hatab told Channel 2 that “Mohammed returned to his hunger strike. He told me explicitly: ‘if they arrest me again I’ll start a new hunger strike.’ He’s currently in a hunger strike.”
Allan is suspected of recruiting and directing suicide bombers and aiding fugitive terrorists during the vicious terror war known as the Second Intifada.
During Allan’s hunger strike, Islamic Jihad vowed to break the ceasefire with Israel and launch a new terror war if he were to die from his self-imposed starvation.
The refusal by medical personnel at the hospital to force feed the terrorist in accordance with newly passed laws raised great criticism among academics and doctors, who noted that the state of affairs led to Allan’s release.