Family of Tube terrorist called in police three weeks before Leytonstone attack

The family of the terrorist of the London Underground knife attack raised concerns to police three weeks ago over his mental health, The Telegraph reports.

Relatives of Muhaydin Mire, 29, had growing fears over his behaviour and asked the Metropolitan Police whether officers needed to intervene, it is understood.

Scotland Yard admitted it had been in contact with a family member before Mire allegedly knifed a passenger at Leytonstone Underground station, shouting “this is for Syria”.

The family is understood to have told officers they wanted Mire committed under the Mental Health Act.

Mire’s brother Mohamed said: “He was saying odd things, talking nonsense and saying that he was seeing demons.

However, the Met Police claimed ​in a statement sent to the Telegraph that “there was no mention of radicalisation”.

A statement from the force said: “The police were contacted by a family member approximately three weeks before the incident on Saturday.

“There was no mention of radicalisation; the conversation related entirely to health related issues and the family were therefore correctly referred to health services for help.”

stab-624571

Mire was interviewed by mental health specialists over the weekend and is undergoing ongoing assessments while awaiting a court appearance at the Old Bailey.

Mohamed Mire told how his brother came to Britain when he was 12 from Somalia and went to school in Camden, north London.

“He was a good boy and he loved football. As far as I know he loved education, he wanted to be a computer scientist,” he told Channel 4 news.

“It didn’t work out for him. He got in with the wrong people.”

He said that his brother developed mental health problems after smoking cannabis.

“He was diagnosed by a doctor and treated in 2007 for paranoia and [treated] in hospital for three months.”

Mohamed said that his brother had been working as an uber driver, but in August this year his mental health worsened once again.

“He went a bit crazy, he was saying odd things. I explained to the family the situation, we tried to get him help, we tried to call the local authority.

“They could not help him, they said he was not a harm to people and he was not a harm to himself. We tried to tell them – this guy has mental issues, can you at least section him. I talked to the police.

“And then I decide to move him out of the country so I called my mum [who lives in Somalia] and she told me to take him out the country to help him out. So I decide to book tickets for him this Sunday.”

stabbing_new1_leyt_3519240b

The 6ft 3in 29-year-old appeared before magistrates on Monday accused of leaving his attacker with a 12cm knife after looking at terrorism linked to Syria on his mobile phone.

He pounced on his victim from behind before carrying out a ferocious beating and shouting “this is for Syria, my Muslim brothers”, Westminster Magistrates’ Court heard.

Material linked to the Syrian conflict and “terrorist actions around the world” were discovered on his mobile phone, it is alleged.

Mire spoke only to confirm his name and address as he appeared in the dock at Westminster Magistrates’ Court on Monday to answer a holding charge of attempted murder.

Prosecutor David Cawthorne said the 56-year-old guitarist victim, named only as “Male A”, had been walking through the station at 7pm on Saturday when he was attacked from behind.

The court heard Male A was was hit around the head and body before collapsing to the floor, where he was kicked and stamped on by Mire.

Witnesses attempted to intervene as Mire brandished a knife, held Male A’s head and began to cut his neck “in what is described by some as a sawing motion”.

The victim was left in a pool of blood and required five hours of surgery in hospital.