Defense Minister: Israel ‘not necessarily’ behind every incident in Iran
Defense Minister Benny Gantz said that Israel is “not necessarily” behind every mysterious incident in Iran, after al-Zargan power plant in Ahva, Parchin ballistic missile plant and Natanz nuclear facility blew up in powerful, mysterious explosions.
“Not every incident that transpires in Iran necessarily has something to do with us…All those systems are complex, they have very high safety constraints and I’m not sure they always know how to maintain them,” Gantz told Army Radio.
“We continue to act in all fronts to reduce the possibility that Iran will become a nuclear power and we will continue to do this part of protecting our security. A nuclear Iran is a threat to the world and the region, as well as a threat to Israel. And we will do everything to prevent that from happening. And we will do everything possible to prevent Iran from spreading terror and weapons, but I do not refer to any individual event,” Gantz added.
The underground Natanz site, where Iran was developing advanced centrifuges for faster uranium enrichment, was partly burned on Thursday.
Natanz is the centerpiece of Iran’s uranium enrichment program and is ‘monitored’ by inspectors of the International Atomic Energy Agency, the UN nuclear watchdog.
Iran threatened with retaliation against any country that carries out cyberattacks on its nuclear sites.
According to Arab reports, last week’s blast in Iran’s Parchin ballistic missile plant, a major weapons research, development and manufacturing center, was the result of an airstrike conducted by Israeli F-35 stealth jet.
The attacks were aimed at Iran’s stock of UF6 (uranium hexafluoride) gas — a key component of the uranium enrichment process for both reactor fuel and weapons.
The strikes resulted in Iran losing over 80 percent of its UF6 reserves, which would greatly slow down Tehran’s enrichment ambitions.