Israel bombs terror targets in Gaza after massive rocket attacks targeting over a million civilians
HAPPENING NOW: Israeli fighter jets are bombing Hamas and Islamic Jihad terror targets in Gaza in response to massive barrages of rockets fired from Gaza towards civilians in southern Israel.
● IDF spokesperson: “A short time ago, IDF aircraft and tanks attacked seven military positions of the Islamic Jihad terror organization throughout Gaza. The attacks were carried out in response to rocket fire launched from Gaza into Israeli territory earlier today”.
● Reports of a Muslim terrorist injured in one of the IDF attacks in the last few minutes in southern Gaza. The terrorist has been evacuated to the hospital.
● “40 rockets have been fired by terrorists in Gaza at Israeli civilians in under 24 hours. We are currently striking Islamic Jihad terror targets in Gaza“, the IDF Spokesperson’s Unit tweeted.
● According to Arab reports, Israeli jets attacked the Hittin terror site in Khan Younis with five missiles, in the second round of strikes there since yesterday.
● Additional strikes reported on a Hamas terror post east of al-Bureij.
“Earlier today, rockets were fired from the Gaza Strip into Israeli territory. In response, a short while ago, IDF fighter jets and attack helicopters struck Islamic Jihad terror targets throughout the Gaza Strip, among them a military compound in Khan Yunis used by the Islamic Jihad for training and weapons storage, in addition to underground infrastructure in El-Bureij”, the IDF said in a statement.
“The IDF will respond to any terror acts perpetrated by the Islamic Jihad that endanger Israeli civilians and harm its sovereignty. The IDF views the rocket attack towards Israeli territory with great severity, is prepared and will continue operating as necessary against attempts to harm Israeli civilians”, the IDF added.
IDF says that in total 14 rockets were fired from Gaza, 12 were intercepted by Iron Dome missile defense batteries.
“Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu spoke today by telephone with Ashkelon Mayor Tomer Glam and Sderot Mayor Alon Davidi. The Prime Minister stands by the steadfast resilience of the cities’ residents and updated the mayors on the security situation. Prime Minister Netanyahu is currently holding a telephone security consultation with the heads of the security establishment”, the PMO said in a statement.
The IDF Home Front Command issued fresh guidelines for residents of southern Israel and ordered the closure of schools, roads and train lines adjacent to the Gaza border following the ongoing escalation and concerns over possible anti-tank fire.
The IDF targeted Islamic Jihad terror targets in both Syria and Gaza in response to massive barrages of rockets fired at Israeli civilians yesterday.
Earlier, the IDF deployed additional Iron Dome missile defense batteries in central and southern Israel as preparation for a possible escalation and rocket attacks following the elimination of two Islamic Jihad terrorists who were planting bombs near the security border fence.
At least six Muslim terrorists were eliminated in Israeli airstrikes targeting Islamic Jihad facilities in Damascus. Two of the eliminated terrorists were members of the Islamic Jihad terror group and four others were Iranian-backed terrorists, a war monitor said.