Mali: 53 soldiers killed by al-Qaeda-linked terrorists in attack on military post
53 soldiers were killed Friday in a terrorist attack on a Mali military post in the northeast of the country.
It is the second major terror attack on soldiers in a month and one of the deadliest strikes against Mali’s military in recent attacks by Muslim terrorists.
A civilian was also killed at the outpost in Indelimane, in the Menaka region, close to the border with Niger, the country’s communication minister Yaya Sangare said on Twitter.
“The situation is under control. A search and the process of identifying the bodies is continuing,” he added, after giving the latest update on the death toll.
He said 10 survivors were found at the outpost, which suffered “significant material damage”.
“Reinforcements have been dispatched to secure the area and hunt down the attackers,” the statement added.
No terror group immediately claimed responsibility for the attack.
It comes a month after two jihadist assaults killed 40 soldiers near the border with Burkina Faso, however, several sources said the death toll had been downplayed.
Northern Mali came under the control of Al-Qaeda linked terrorists after Mali’s army failed to quash a rebellion there in 2012.
A French-led military campaign was launched against the Muslim terrorists, pushing them back a year later. But they have regrouped and widened their hit-and-run raids and landmine attacks to central and southern Mali.