President Trump calls off plan for strikes on Iranian radar and missile batteries
President Donald Trump reportedly gave initial approval for the military to launch strikes on Iranian radar and missile batteries in retaliation for Tehran shooting down a US drone, before pulling back at the last minute.
Military and diplomatic officials were said to be expecting a strike as late as 7pm Thursday, with planned attacks on Iranian targets including radar and missile batteries approved.
Planes were in the air and ships were in position, but no missiles were fired, when the order to stand down came.
It was not clear if strikes would go ahead at a later date. The White House and Pentagon have not commented on the reports.
Earlier on Thursday, the Pentagon released a video of the US Navy drone that was shot out of the sky over the Strait of Hormuz by Iran.
The video shows a smoke trail from the $180million surveillance aircraft.
In addition, the Pentagon released a map indicating that the US drone was over international waters and not over Iran, contrary to what Iranian officials maintain.
“In the last 24 hours, Iran has intensified its aggression against the United States and against all of us. I repeat my call for all peace-loving countries to stand by the United States in its effort to stop Iranians’ aggression, Netanyahu said in a video statement.
“Israel stands by the United States on this one,” he said.