US to send 1,000 additional troops to the Gulf as tensions escalate with Iran
The US military will send an additional 1,000 troops to the Middle East as tensions escalate with Iran.
Acting Defense Secretary Patrick Shanahan said the deployment was in response to the “hostile behavior” by Iranian forces and their proxy terror groups that threaten United States personnel and interests across the region.
‘The action today is being taken to ensure the safety and welfare of our military personnel working throughout the region and to protect our national interests,’ he said.
The US Navy also shared new images that show the country’s Revolutionary Guard were responsible for attacks last week on two oil tankers near the Persian Gulf.
The photos, taken from a Navy helicopter, show Iranian forces removing an unexploded mine from the side of the Japanese-owned Kokuka Courageous oil tanker in the Gulf of Oman last Thursday.
It came after a day which saw Iran announce it was close to breaking limits on uranium enrichment which it had accepted under the nuclear deal which Trump quit last year.
That prompted the White House National Security Council to say in a statement: ‘President Trump has made it clear he will never allow Iran to develop nuclear weapons.’