We remember the Dolphinarium massacre: 21 teenagers murdered by Muslim suicide bomber in Tel Aviv
Today 18 years ago, on June 1st, 2001, 21 teenagers were murdered and 132 were wounded when a Muslim terrorist made his way into the heart of a crowd of party-goers and blew himself up in one of the most gruesome terror attacks in the nation’s history.
The majority of the victims were teenage girls, whose families had recently immigrated from the former Soviet Union.
They were waiting for admission to a dance party at the Dolphi disco, and others were in line to enter the adjacent nightclub.
Both the Islamic Jihad and a terror group called Hezbollah-Palestine claimed responsibility for the terror attack, and it was also reported that the Muslim terrorist had links to Hamas.
Survivors of the terror attack later described how the Muslim terrorist appeared to taunt his victims before the explosion, wandering among them dressed in a disguise that led his victims to mistake him for an Orthodox Jew.
Before detonating his bomb, he banged a drum packed with explosives and ball-bearings, while taunting his victims in Hebrew with the words “Something’s going to happen”.
At 23:27, he blew himself up. Witnesses claimed that body parts lay all over the area and that bodies were piled one above another on the sidewalk before being collected. Many civilians in the vicinity of the bombing rushed to assist emergency services.
● Maria Tagiltseva, 14, of Netanya
● Raisa Nimrovsky, 15, of Netanya
● Ana Kazachkova, 15, of Holon
● Katherine Kastaniyada-Talkir, 15, of Ramat Gan
● Irina Nepomnyashchi, 16, of Bat Yam
● Mariana Medvedenko, 16, of Tel Aviv
● Yulia Nelimov, 16, of Tel Aviv
● Liana Saakyan, 16, of Ramat Gan
● Marina Berkovizki, 17, of Tel Aviv
● Simona Rodin, 18, of Holon
● Aleksei Lupalu, 16, of Ukraine
● Yelena Nelimov, 18, of Tel Aviv
● Irena Usdachi, 18, of Holon
● Ilya Gutman, 19, of Bat Yam
● Roman Dezanshvili, 21, of Bat Yam
● Pvt. Diez (Dani) Normanov, 21, of Tel Aviv
● Ori Shahar, 32, of Ramat Gan
● Yael-Yulia Sklianik, 15, of Holon –died of her injuries on 2 June 2001
● Sergei Panchenko, 20, Ukraine – died of his injuries on 2 June 2001
● Jan Bloom, 25, of Ramat Gan – died of his injuries on 3 June 2001
● Yevgeniya Dorfman, 15, of Bat Yam – died of her injuries on 19 June 2001