Sri Lanka bans burqa, warns of imminent terror attacks after Easter massacre
Sri Lanka announced a ban on face coverings, including veils and burqas, in the wake of the Easter massacre in which Muslim terrorists murdered 253 people in a series of coordinated suicide bomb blasts.
President Maithripala Sirisena used emergency powers to ban any form of face covering in public.
An MP called for the ban last week, citing the religious garment’s use by terrorists to escape authorities by concealing their identities.
The new decree announced today means Muslim women in Sri Lanka will no longer be able to wear veils covering their faces and prevent the wearing of the niqab, which covers all but the eyes, and the burqa, which includes a veil across the eye-opening.
But the law does not prevent women from wearing the chador or the hijab, which leave the face exposed but cover the hair and neck.
The measures would help security forces to identify people as a hunt for any remaining terrorists and their support network continues.
Officials have warned that the Muslim terrorists behind the April 21 massacre were planning more attacks, using a van and suicide bombers disguised in military uniforms.
Muslim terrorists are targeting five locations and planned to attack on either Sunday or Monday, police chiefs said in a letter sent to officials that was leaked to the media.
‘There could be another wave of attacks,’ the head of ministerial security division (MSD), a unit of the police, said in the letter.
Since there were no attacks on Sunday, it raises the prospect that the new attacks could be imminent.
During the raids, the Sri Lankan police recovered ISIS uniforms, ISIS flags, 150 Gelignite sticks, 100,000 ball bearings and a drone camera in Sammanthurai.