Iran’s Zarif threatens US of ‘consequences’ over oil sanctions, Strait of Hormuz

Iran's Zarif threatens US of 'consequences' over oil sanctions, Strait of Hormuz

Iran will continue to find international buyers for its oil and use the Strait of Hormuz to transport it, the country’s foreign minister said, threatening that if the United States tries to stop Tehran it should “be prepared for the consequences”.

The United States on Monday demanded buyers of Iranian oil stop purchases by May or face sanctions, ending six months of waivers which allowed Iran’s eight biggest buyers, most of them in Asia, to continue importing limited volumes.

“We believe that Iran will continue to sell its oil. We will continue to find buyers for our oil and we will continue to use the Strait of Hormuz as a safe transit passage for the sale of our oil,” Zarif told an event at the Asia Society in New York.

PM  Netanyahu praises US decision on Iran oil sanctions

Reinforcing Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei’s stance, Zarif threatened: “If the United States takes the crazy measure of trying to prevent us from doing that, then it should be prepared for the consequences.” He did not give specifics.

Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has praised the Trump administration’s decision, saying that the move “is of great importance for increasing pressure on the Iranian terrorist regime.”

“We stand with the United States’ determination against Iranian aggression and this is the right way to stop it,” Netanyahu said.

Last month, PM Netanyahu announced that it will deploy the Israeli Navy to help tackle Iranian efforts to smuggle out oil via maritime routes to evade US sanctions.

Iran threatens 'firm response' if Israel tackles its efforts to smuggle out oil to evade US sanctions (3).jpg