Terror in Holland: 3 murdered, 5 injured as Muslim terrorist opens fire on a tram in Utrecht
BREAKING: At least three people have been murdered and 5 others injured after a Muslim terrorist opened fire on a tram in Utrecht, the Netherlands.
Dutch police have named the Muslim terrorist as Turkish-born Gökmen Tanis, 37, believed to have been captured on the tram’s CCTV just four minutes before the terror attack at 10.45am this morning, and urged the public to ‘look out for him but do not approach.’
A Turkish businessman living in Utrecht told BBC Turkish that Tanis has connections to ISIS.
The Dutch police have arrested the terrorist after an hours-long manhunt which saw schools and businesses in lockdown.
Gökmen Tanis was allegedly targeting one of his own relatives in this morning’s shooting and then firing at anyone who tried to intervene, murdering his relative and two others in what appears to be an honor killing.
Dutch prime minister Mark Rutte said some wounded in the tram attack ‘are still in critical condition’.
Eyewitnesses claim four Muslim terrorists carried the shooting attack. According to Dutch news site Het Parool, the four were armed with at least two weapons and shouted ‘allahu akbar’.
A counter-terrorism chief confirmed there had been shootings at multiple locations in the city.
The Muslim terrorist, who may not have been acting alone, fled the scene, reportedly in a red Renault Clio compact sedan, which has since been found abandoned in Utrecht.
The head of the Dutch counter-terrorism agency Pieter-Jaap Aalbersberg said in a statement that the ‘threat level has gone to 5, exclusively for the Utrecht province,’ referring to the highest level, adding that the shooting ‘appears to be a terrorist attack’.
Police have also instructed all schools, as well as mosques and transportation hubs, in the city to keep their doors closed, while the manhunt continues.
Police have asked people to keep roads clear for emergency workers to get through.
According to local journalists, witnesses reported a Muslim terrorist in a tram on the way to Utrecht CS pulling out a weapon and shooting several people.
Reporter Yelle Tieleman reported that emergency services were present “en masse” and performing first aid in the tram.
He added: “Still unclear how many victims. Emergency services are massively present in the tram”.
Utrecht Police also reported on Twitter that three emergency helicopters had been scrambled to the scene.
The entire tram network has been halted as investigations continue.
Dutch prosecutors said they are seriously considering a possible terrorist motive for the terror attack in Utrecht, and have so far been unable to find a link between the Muslim terrorist and the three people who were murdered.
In a statement Tuesday, prosecutors say the nature of the attack and a note found in a getaway car give them reasons to consider terrorism as a motive.