Arab terrorist hunger striker’s health deteriorating

The health of an Arab terrorist on hunger strike for a month in protest of his preventive detention is deteriorating, a Palestinian official and family members warned Thursday.

Bilal Kayed began his hunger strike last month in protest at his internment under Israel’s administrative detention law, which allows the country to hold prisoners without trial for renewable six-month periods.

He had served a 14-and-a-half-year sentence for terrorist activities in the Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine, labelled a terrorist organization by Israel, the European Union and the United States, and was due to be released on June 15.

160615-bilal-kayed-vertical.jpg

However, Israeli authorities then placed him under administrative detention, prompting him to begin the hunger strike.

Issa Qaraqe, head of the Palestinian Authority’s commission for detainee affairs, said Kayed had been transferred to hospital twice in the past 24 hours due to failing kidneys.

The 35-year-old from near Shechem has lost about 30 kilograms (65 pounds) and is “refusing medical inspections and won’t take anything but water,” Qaraqe added.

Kayed’s brother Mohammed said the Israeli authorities were responsible for his health.

A spokesman for the Israel prisons service confirmed his hunger strike without giving further details.

Administrative detention is intended to allow authorities to hold terrorists while continuing to gather evidence, with the aim of preventing further attacks in the meantime.

 

Share this
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

You may also like...

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.