President Donald Trump says the United States will “take care of it” following North Korea’s latest missile launch.
Trump told reporters Tuesday that “it is a situation that we will handle.”
‘A missile was launched a little while ago from North Korea. I will only tell you that we will take care of it,’ Trump told reporters in the Roosevelt Room of the White House a few hours after the missile streaked across Korean and Japanese skies at 745 miles per hour.
‘We have General Mattis in the room with us,’ he told reporters, ‘and we’ve had a long discussion on it.’
Trump offered no details about how he will handle the situation, which threatens to escalate into a nuclear crisis on the Korean peninsula – and could rope other regional powers into war.
Asked if Tuesday’s provocation by despot Kim Jong-Un had changed his strategy in the region, he said: ‘Nothing changed. We have a very serious approach and nothing changed. We take it very seriously.’
The White House said earlier that Trump was briefed on North Korea’s ballistic missile launch early Wednesday local time, its first in two months. Press secretary Sarah Sanders tweeted that Trump “was briefed, while missile was still in the air, on the situation in North Korea.”
The Pentagon says it detected and tracked a single North Korean missile launch and believes it was an intercontinental ballistic missile.
At the time of the launch, Trump was in a meeting with Senate Republicans on Capitol Hill.